Thursday, September 22, 2011

Seven Quick Takes Friday (14)


Thanks to Jen at Conversion Diary for hosting.  I have no idea what I'm going to write about for my quick takes this week.  May be a complete jumble...

-1-
Hannah, our one year old, has been saying new words like crazy.  I think I need to start writing them down.  She says the usual: mama, dada, up, down, hi, bye, dog, ball; but also some not so usual: memere, pepere, nana, nano, football, touchdown (raises her hands in the air for touchdown!), Dinosaur (dine-so), stinky (tink-ee), cookie, Alicia (lee-cia)... jeeze why can't I remember more.  The second child learns so quickly!  It's truly amazing!

-2-
For having done no advertising other than the brochures from our parish, we had six people walk through the doors Thursday night for our parish's Coming Home to Catholicism program.  Really the best way to bring people back home is that personal invitation, so even during this time of transition at our church, our parishioners continue to take the message to heart and invite people through the brochures.  I am very interested to see what our new pastor will say next week to these people who are re-exploring their faith and thinking about coming back to the church.  These people are dealing with lots of issues, but our new priest seems personable and I hope he will be able to make a positive impact.  They have come into those doors for a reason.  I will pray that they find what they are looking for.

-3-
New TV shows this week.  I've come to realize that my TV watching has really dropped off since having children.  The only shows I really care about are Parenthood, Biggest Loser, the Mentalist (I'm actually watching while I'm writing this on Thursday night.  Ok, well sort of watching.) and Criminal Minds.  The only one I actually have been able to watch was Criminal Minds and that is only because my parent's cable includes DVR.  It's probably for the best.  I used to watch far too much TV.

-4-
Caught up with a very good friend that I hadn't spoken to in almost a year.  I missed her so much, but I knew she was having a difficult time since her two miscarriages and knew that she needed to be in touch with me in her own time, especially since I have two young children.  I'm really looking forward to figuring out a date that we can get together and meet up in person, without the girls of course.  Some things just take time and I admire her for being honest about what she can and cannot handle.  There is so much going on in both of our lives that is parallel.  Even when life is difficult and friends share similar difficulties it can be comforting to know others are experiencing the same things.  You do not wish difficulties on them, but it helps you to realize you aren't alone.

-5-
Hubby and I start teaching Theology of the Body for teens, part two, at our parish on Sunday.  The church's teaching of how our sexuality actually points us to God is so important to learn today, and not just as a teen.  I wish more people would look into it.  Whether or not these teens open their hearts to this important teaching remains to be seen.  I hope that at least it is something that if they do not embrace now, that they return to the information at a later point in life.  Just hoping to plant the seed of thought for them.  Teens today like to question authority - parents, teachers, leaders of all types really, so why not have them question what society accepts as the norm?

-6-
A lesson that I need to learn and follow a bit more:
“You say grace before meals. All right. But I say grace before the concert and the opera, and grace before the play and pantomime, and grace before I open a book, and grace before sketching, painting, swimming, fencing, boxing, walking, playing, dancing and grace before I dip the pen in the ink.”  G.K. Chesterton
I say grace before all meals with the girls, but there are many important times that I need to incorporate prayers into my life.  Not just when eating.  I need to strengthen my relationship with God and I'll be honest with you, I try, but sometimes I just don't live it.  I have great intentions, I try to open my life to pray more to God and I start out great.  Why is it so difficult to take this time?  I need to pray more, goodness knows there is plenty I have to talk to God about.  The girls need to see me pray more.  *sigh*  I should put sticky notes everywhere... with cement glue...

-7-
Have I complained about the never ending parade of laundry?  Right now I have about four loads or so that I need to do and the past few days I think I have done about four or five loads.  There are only four of us, so why does it seem as though to keep on top of it I would have to do at least two loads of laundry a day?  That would be manageable if I could manage my time better.  But I can't.  I get pulled into those things that just eat away at your time:  getting ready for some presentation - party - class - or other event, the new changes on FB, writing a blog post here, reading other people's blogs far too late into the night.  I think I need to force myself to get better at time management.  Not sure how to accomplish that exactly.  I guess I'll just add it to the "to do " list. ;)

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments:

  1. I call my pile of clothes every weekend Mt. Laundry! It's crazy (especially with 7 of us now!)

    Good for you teaching TOB for teens!!! Teens (well EVERYONE really) needs to learn it, you are so right!

    I hear you on the prayer! I think I need to put notes up on the TV screen, the Computer monitor, the bathroom mirror and the refrigerator..."Have you thanked (praised/petitioned) the Lord, lately?" I think you inspired an idea!! :)

    ugh, my blogger account on my work computer is not letting me use my profile today! (shhh, please don't tell anyone I'm on at work, LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out Flylady. She really helped me get a handle on the laundry and get some realistic routines set up to keep the house nice and orderly. Just google her and sign up, it's free and she is very encouraging!

    ReplyDelete